A treat for seafood lovers, this spicy tomato-based pasta dish makes a satisfying meal.
Clams- 300 g
Spaghetti or linguine- 300 g
Extra virgin oil- 1 tbsp
Butter- 30 g
Garlic- 2 cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Onion- 1, large, peeled and finely chopped
Chillies padi- 2-3, finely chopped
Canned peeled tomatoes- 600 g, chopped
Chopped parsley- 2 tbsp
White button mushroom- 3, sliced
White wine- 250 ml
Lemon- 1, granted for zest
Sugar- 1/2 tbsp
Prawns- 600 g, peeled and deveined
Scallops- 200 g, roe removed, rinsed, drained and halved
Salt- to taste
Ground black pepper- to taste
• Soak clams in a large basin of water foe 30 minutes for then to expel and sand. Remove from basin, being careful not to agitate sand at bottom of basin. Scrub clams under running water, then drain. Set aside.
• Being a pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cooking according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
• In a frying pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and chillies and fry until fragrant and onion is soft.
• Add tomatoes. parsley, white button mushroom and wine and stir to mix well. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
• Add lemon zest, sugar, prawns, scallops and clams. Cover and leave to simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until clams open. Discard any that do not open. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
• Spoon sauce over pasta and toss to mix well. Serve immediately.