Chicken curry with potatoes
This spicy & hearty dish is a favourite in Singapore. Serve with rice or crusty bread.
Chicken – 1, about 1.5kg cut into large pieces
Salt – 2 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1, large, peeled & quartered
Ginger – 3cm knob, peeled
Garlic – 3 cloves, peeled
Red chillies – 2
Shallots – 55g, peeled
Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
Meat curry powder – 70g, mixed with 100ml water into a paste
Coconut milk – 500ml
Water – 500ml
Potatoes – 3, large, peeled & quartered
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
• Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and set aside.
• Grind onion, ginger, garlic, chillies and shallots together until fine. Heat oil in a pot and stir-fry ground mixture for 3 minutes.
• Add curry powder paste and stir-fry for another 5 minutes until fragrant.
• Add chicken pieces and fry for 5 minutes until well-coated with mixture. Add coconut milk and water. Bring to the boil.
• Add potatoes, remaining salt and sugar. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes until chicken is tender.
• Dish out and serve hot.